Sunday, June 24, 2012

Day Nine - Day at Sea - Sailing to Corfu - Sunday, June 24, 2012

Today was a relaxing day spent at sea aboard the Norwegian Jade sailing to Corfu, Greece.  An opportunity to rest, relax and revitalize from the heat and humidity of four days in Venice.  I slept in until 10:00am and then got ready for my day.  I washed my hair last night and set it in those pink spongy curlers so I could rejoin the human race with my hair curled and make-up on.

I was off to the Spa for my 11:00am Fire & Ice Pedicure.  This was a delightful combination of Lime and Ginger Sea Salt Scrub, Hot Stone Foot Massage, leg and foot moisturize and a full pedicure.  My feet and legs were very happy.

My feet are still a swollen from the heat and humidity.
 It was now lunch time and I grabbed a bite to eat and then found a quiet spot with Kara and Leanne to spend the afternoon reading. Kara brought along her cross stitching, Leanne an Outdoor Magazine and I had my Kindle. I love my Kindle. I can carry 35 books I want to read on this small device.  This was unlike my last cruise where I lugged five paperbacks in my suitcase.  I decided to start reading “the Chaperone” by Laura Moriarty. Here's the synopsis from Amazon... 

"The Chaperone" is a captivating novel about the woman who chaperoned an irreverent Louise Brooks to New York City in 1922 and the summer that would change them both.
 
Only a few years before becoming a famous silent-film star and an icon of her generation, a fifteen-year-old Louise Brooks leaves Wichita, Kansas, to study with the prestigious Denishawn School of Dancing in New York. Much to her annoyance, she is accompanied by a thirty-six-year-old chaperone, who is neither mother nor friend. Cora Carlisle, a complicated but traditional woman with her own reasons for making the trip, has no idea what she’s in for. Young Louise, already stunningly beautiful and sporting her famous black bob with blunt bangs, is known for her arrogance and her lack of respect for convention. Ultimately, the five weeks they spend together will transform their lives forever.

For Cora, the city holds the promise of discovery that might answer the question at the core of her being, and even as she does her best to watch over Louise in this strange and bustling place she embarks on a mission of her own. And while what she finds isn’t what she anticipated, she is liberated in a way she could not have imagined. Over the course of Cora’s relationship with Louise, her eyes are opened to the promise of the twentieth century and a new understanding of the possibilities for being fully alive.

Drawing on the rich history of the 1920s,’30s, and beyond--from the orphan trains to Prohibition, flappers, and the onset of the Great Depression to the burgeoning movement for equal rights and new opportunities for women--Laura Moriarty’s "The Chaperone" illustrates how rapidly everything, from fashion and hemlines to values and attitudes, was changing at this time and what a vast difference it all made for Louise Brooks, Cora Carlisle, and others like them.  

I'm loving this book.  It takes place in my favorite city, NYC and during on of my favorite time periods, the 1920's.

I had such a great experience with my pedicure, I scheduled “The Perfect Day” package for 6:15pm.  This included a muscle melting full body massage, soothing foot, ankle and scalp massage. Followed by a spa facial to rehydrate and revitalize my skin with a deep cleanse, tone, exfoliate mask and moisturize. This was pure pampering. It was worth skipping dinner to feel this relaxed.
Now it was back to the cabin to relax and read on the balcony with the Mediterranean Sea the only thing in my view before the sun went down. Tonight it will be early to bed as we are off early on an excursion.

Tomorrow we dock in Corfu and we begin our excursions.

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment