Sunday, June 17, 2012

Day Two in Florence - Sunday, June 17, 2012

First, let me wish all my friends and family who are fathers a very Happy Father's Day!  I wish my father was still alive but he has been gone for many years. It is on days like this that I really miss him.

Our second day in Florence.  We slept well and awoke refreshed to head downstairs in the Hotel for a light Breakfast included with our rate.  Corn Flakes, a roll with butter and jam and a glass of juice.  Enough to get me on my way and wake me up.  We then proceeded to go back to the room and finish getting ready for the day.  Today we were going to tackle the major attractions - The Uffizi Museum and the Galleria dell' Accademia.  We headed to the Palazzo Vecchio to purchase our Florence Card.  For 50 Euros it provides entrance to all the major Florence attractions and let's you go right in and not have to wait in the long lines.


Once we had our cards we headed to the Uffizi Museum.  One of the great museums of the world, the Uffizi houses a premier collection of Italian Renaissance art, featuring works by such masters as Botticelli, Titian, Michelangelo and da Vinci.


There are so many incredibly beautiful pieces of art in this museum, most of them Altar Pieces, you wonder if anything is left in Italy's Cathedrals. The ceilings are covered in gorgeous frescoes. Every where you look there are statues and busts.







So much beauty! After the Uffizi, we headed to the Galleria dell' Accademia to see Michelangelo's David. The lines were long for both individuals and groups.  With the Florence card we were able to join the Reservation line and ended up waiting at the most 15 minutes for entrance to the Museum. This was beginning to be the best 50 Euros I have ever spent.  The moment you turn into the room where the David is displayed, it is breathtaking.  Seeing this work of art in person is something you cannot describe to people.  It is stunning.  I have to pinch myself to remind myself that it is real. I could go into the detail of the history of the statue but I'll let you head over to Wikipedia if you are interested.



I love the detail and veining in his hands. This truly is one of the great works of art.  They now have an entire system hooked up to the base of the statue to detect even the slightest movement or seismic activity.

Of course we had to take a picture of the replica David that stands in front of the Palazzo Vecchio.  We then had to have more Gelato.  This afternoon's flavors for me were Fresh Peach and Orange.  A delightful combination. A quick walk back to the Hotel for a lite supper and a little rest before venturing out this evening.  We stopped in at the corner Pizza Shop and each got a slice to take back to the Hotel.  Upon opening the door to our Hotel room I was curious to see the placement of the throw pillows by the maid.  Only one throw pillow today and my bed left without.  The rest left in a nearby chair.



After we ate our Pizza and relaxed a bit, it was time to venture back out into the Florence evening.  We wandered down the tiny streets and back alleyways looking in shop windows and enjoying the sounds of people enjoying themselves.  Before venturing back to the Hotel we had to indulge in one last gelato of the day.  This time I choose my favorite - Lemon and it was refreshing and delicious.


On the way back to the Hotel we stopped into a little grocery store to buy some snacks. I love going into grocery stores in other countries.  It gives you a little inside view into another culture when you see what kind of food they eat.  While in the store I picked up some of my favorite pastries, palmiers and some carbonated Italian Lemonade - yum!  Then I saw them...my favorite souvenir of the trip so far...SPRINKLES!!!  Italian Sprinkles for my cupcakes.  I'm one happy Cupcake Baker!

Aren't they adorable?

Tomorrow we are taking an all day excursion to the Cinque Terre.  I've never been there.  Can't wait to tell you all about it.   
Until tomorrow...buonanotte


No comments:

Post a Comment